Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Weird Song Intros?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I'm writing an article on tunes with weird intros that make it hard to tell where "one" is, like Rock and Roll (Zep) and Start Me Up (Stones).

    I have a couple dozen tunes I'm considering, but wondered if anyone here knows any others. In particular, I want newer Rock, Metal or Punk stuff, or tunes that begin with drums. I already have lots of classic Rock (Van Halen, Hendrix, Zep, etc) already.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Terry B's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm...interesting topic. I was thinking of that first song off of Graceland when the tom hits come in. Maybe I am just dumb, but that one always messed with me. Also the beginning of "Take It Easy" by the Eagles can be strange if you hear the first note as the one . "Murder By Numbers" by the Police has a tricky little hi hat intro too. I'll try to think of more!

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    DUDE!!!
    A couple weeks ago I saw this CD at my friends, and I snagged it because I lost mine a long time ago. No kidding, every day in the car I listen to most of it at least once. Yes 90125.
    The song I was thinking of is CHANGES. The intro is so awsome!
    4/8 3/8 then 4/8 3/8 3/8. Or of course
    2/4 3/8 then 2/4 6/8, Whatever.
    Hands down one of the all time best recordings in my book. The Trevor Rabin era is my favorite Yes era I think. Big Generator and Union are cool, but 90125 rules them all.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Vdrummer:
    I'm writing an article on tunes with weird intros that make it hard to tell where "one" is, like Start Me Up (Stones).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man, Charlie plays the snare drums on the one for starting "Start Me Up", bass drums on the 2 & 3, and back on the snare on the 4, I think that it's very brillant !!!

    It's one of the reason that I think that he's one the greatest !!!

    Nice idea Vdrummer.

    And yeah Steve, the Yes's stuf are AWESOME !!!
    Produced by the great Trevor Horn, some nice work here.

    Peace.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member trieck's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2002
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1.) Mad about You (Sting) -- For some reason, when I first heard this it was easy for my ear to get off on this.
    2.) The West Side (Phil Collins) -- He comes in emphasising the upbeat.
    3.) Spirits in the Material World -- Same thing here.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member moosetication's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Badman's Song, Tears for Fears. Manu Katch?.

    Actually, technically not that hard to hear "one" at the start if you pay attention to his left foot - but it's confusing at first hear, until the count-in... and you can lose it halfway through the intro if you're not careful too.

    Manu. Word.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mr. Acrolite's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The electric piano intro on the Doobie Brothers' "Minute by Minute" is always a hard one for me to locate the downbeat.

    And there's a goofy song called "Woman Tonight" on America's Greatest Hits, where I can never find one until they go to the bridge:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B000002KHS/

    Cool topic!


    Mr. A.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 31, 2005 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Acrolite ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Bat71's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2005
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There's this 80's hit single from Billy Ocean called "When the going gets tough...". I remember it having a strange intro. OK its all programmed drums, but I'm sure that drummers playing in Top 40 bands back then had some problems figuring that one out. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    Steve Holmes,

    Thanks for the link to "Interracialmatch.com".

    When is this board changing?

    Chris

  10. #10
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The beg. of Celestial Terrestrial COmmuters has a really cool fill.

    Over the Mountain by Ozzy has that triplet fill.

    There's a song on Siamese Dream that has a tasy little fill, Quiet.

    But maybe all of those are a little too obvious as to where the downbeat comes in...Mudvayne has some interesting beats, but I can't make it through a whole disc of theirs.

    Soundgarden, Rusty Cage? That whole beat sometimes has me scatching my head.

    Of course, the grandaddy IMO, I Don't Care Anymore, by Phil, that is one beat that definitely "flips"...ABACAB has a few on there too, IIRC.

    I'll try to think of some more.

    Jesus Lizard, check those guys out. They had a great drummer in the Dave Grohl vein, I think Grohl lifted from him is more like it.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •